Lentil Rice and Veggie Bake
- Place the rice and 1 cup water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Place lentils in a pot with the remaining 1 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175°C).
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in the onion and garlic. Mix in tomato, celery, carrots, zucchini, and 1/2 the tomato sauce. Season with 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the oregano, 1/2 the cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a casserole dish, mix the rice, lentils, and vegetables. Top with remaining tomato sauce mixed with remaining basil, oregano, and cumin.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly.
- This really doesn't need to bake since there is no meat it is more to heat and let the tastes meld together, this I find does not need the full 30 minute We also substitute cooked brown rice.