1 hr 5 mins
This loaf was modified from a found recipe, very hearty and rich. Tons of protein and easy to make. I added ground flax seed for extra health benefit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup raw lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces white mushrooms, chopped or 5 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 5 ounces thawed frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- 1Rinse and sort the lentils, combine in heavy saucepan with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender. Roughly 45 minutes
- 2Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic, mushrooms and saute over medium heat until mushrooms are wilted. Stir in spinach, lentils, soy sauce, wheat germ and flaxseed. Grind in pepper and nutmeg. Cook, stirring until the mixture is blended well. Then, add the cheese! Stir some more.
- 4Lightly oil a 9 x 5 by 3 inch glass loaf pan. Pour in 2/3 of the mixture, press some of the mixture up the side to create a shell about 1/2 inch high.
- 5***NOW PREPARE THE POTATO FILLING.
- 6Use a skillet, add the oil and chopped onion. Saute til golden brown. Add remaining filling ingredients and stir for 5 minutes.
- 7Transfer the mixture to the top of your lentil mix in the loaf pan. Then, add the remaining lentil mixture to the top.
- 8Bake for 45 mins, or until the top is crusty and bubbling.
- 9Remove from oven and let stand 15 mins before serving. Use a knife and spatula to slice.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil "meat" Loaf With Potato Filling
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.6
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 418.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g