Recipe by sgannon992
I saw this recipe on the Food Network and decided to give it a try. I have been trying to find oher ways to use lentils other than soup and hae been wanting to try quinoa. This recipe is a great addition to any meal, providing extra protein and whole grain!
Top Review by Mrs. Atkins
This recipe is lovely and easy to make. The quinoa and lentils pair well together and the lime zest gives this salad a fresh and flavorful taste. I would make this again. It was a little soggy at the bottom and that might have been because of the quinoa escaping through a hole in the microwavable lid, means I used a little less than prescribed. But I could easily hold up on some of the dressing next time.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, plus
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lime, zested
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped (can substitute red onion)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the quinoa in a sieve and rinse in cold water. In a large microwave-proof bowl with a cover, add the rinsed quinoa and 1 1/4 cups water. Cover and microwave on high for 9 minutes. Let it sit for 2 minutes then stir. Quinoa should be tender enough to eat, but with a little "pop" upon biting.
- Put the lentils in a sieve and rinse in cold water. In a saucepan, simmer the lentils in 2 cups water until the lentils are tender, but not mushy, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mustard and vinegar together, and drizzle in the oil to make an emulsion. Add the garlic powder, lime zest, and salt, and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble the salad: In a medium salad bowl, mix the quinoa, lentils, green onions, and chopped cilantro. Top the salad with the dressing, toss to coat and serve.