Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A yummy vegetarian alternative to cottage or shepperds pie
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- butter, 1 knob
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red onion
- 1 parsnip
- 4 spring onions
- 1 green chili
- 3 garlic cloves
- 150 g green speckled lentils
- 200 g tomato passata
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g grated cheese
- Bring the Potatos to the boil in salted water and add the broccoli after 5 minutes.
- Cook until very soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- Drain the water off and add the knob of butter and a grating of nutmeg.
- Then mash into a puree.
- Cut the vegetables into cubes and sautee in a litlle olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the Lentils, Tomato Passata and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer on a very low heat for 35 minutes.
- Check the seasoning. Adjust salt and season with fresh ground pepper.
- Give it a stir every now and then and if it becomes to dry add a little more water to keep it going.
- Put the Lentil mixture into a suitable pie/baking dish and spoon over the potato brokoli mash.
- Mix the cheese with the Breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and breadcrumb mixture and bake in the oven at 170 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes until the top turns golden and crunchy!