Recipe by dicentra
This is adapted from my 365 One Dish Meals cookbook. This looks like a simple and yummy soup. I bet it would freeze well. Add the pasta after thawing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup acini di pepe pasta, cooked (about 1 cup cooked)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, Sweat the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, covered, over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth, heat to boiling. Stir in the lentils; heat, stirring occasionally, until boiling.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and parsley.
- Cook, covered, over low heat until the lentils are tender, 45-60 minutes.
- Jus before serving, stir in the cooked pasta. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese.