A veggie version of my corned beef pasties, these can also be served hot or cold as a picnic or for lunch.
- 2 lbs shortcrust pastry
- 8 ounces onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 ounces carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 lb cooked lentils (puy)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the pastry and cut out 6 circles 8in in diameter.
- Heat the oil and cook the onions and carrots slowly in it until soft.
- Take off the heat and stir in the spices, tomato paste, lentils and seasoning. Divide the mixture between the six circles and crimp the edges together.
- Brush with a little of the beaten egg. Put on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is golden. Serve hot or cold.
Deeeelish! Though it was a bit dry. Not sure what to do to change that? But otherwise it was wonderful and tasty... will definitely make it again!
These were really, really tasty. My girls (3 & 5 yo) and I loved them, and my husband who rarely has a meal without meat also devoured his and was really surprised when I told him they were vegetarian. I used about 1/4 t more of each spice and used Pasty Pastry for Cornish Miners' Pasties (Pasty Pastry for Cornish Miners' Pasties).
These are very pleasant! Love the sweet of the carrot with the spices. I couldn't resist making mine a little spicier using hot paprika. Satisfying but not heavy. Thanks so much!