Julie Sahni's method
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas or 1 1/2 cups yellow lentils or 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 5 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
For TADKA of Cumin-Garlic
- 1Pick over, clean, and rinse the split peas.
- 2Place them in a deep pot, add the water, turmeric, and salt, and bring to a boil. Boil the peas gently, partially covered, until they are very soft, about 45 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally to ensure they do not stick to bottom of the pan.
- 3Turn off the heat and beat the split peas with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for a minute or until they look thick and creamy.
- 4You should have 5 cups of puree; if not, add additional water.
- 5Return the puree to the pot, add black pepper, and heat until boiling.
- 6Turn off the heat and fold in the chopped coriander; keep the dal covered.
- 7Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds.
- 8When the seeds turn several shades darker, add the garlic and optional red peppers. Cook until the garlic is browned and the oil is infused with its flavor.
- 9Pour the oil-garlic mixture onto the dal. Mix well.
- 10Taste for pepper and salt.
- 11Serve spooned into small bowls.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil or Split Pea Dal With Garlic Butter
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.7
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 337.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 9.6 g