Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Julie Sahni's method
Make and share this Lentil or Split Pea Dal With Garlic Butter recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow split peas or 1 1⁄2 cups yellow lentils or 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
- 5 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh coriander
For TADKA of Cumin-Garlic
- 5 tablespoons light vegetable oil or 5 tablespoons ghee
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 5 -6 large garlic cloves, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 -3 dried small red peppers
- Pick over, clean, and rinse the split peas.
- Place them in a deep pot, add the water, turmeric, and salt, and bring to a boil. Boil the peas gently, partially covered, until they are very soft, about 45 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally to ensure they do not stick to bottom of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and beat the split peas with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for a minute or until they look thick and creamy.
- You should have 5 cups of puree; if not, add additional water.
- Return the puree to the pot, add black pepper, and heat until boiling.
- Turn off the heat and fold in the chopped coriander; keep the dal covered.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds turn several shades darker, add the garlic and optional red peppers. Cook until the garlic is browned and the oil is infused with its flavor.
- Pour the oil-garlic mixture onto the dal. Mix well.
- Taste for pepper and salt.
- Serve spooned into small bowls.