Lentil-Mushroom Walnut Loaf
- Note: to make lentils, sort 1 ¼ cup dried lentils in a medium saucepan over high heat; combine the lentils with 2 cups water (do not add salt); bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until the lentils are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a big bowl, combine all the ingredients except the cheese; mix well.
- Turn the mixture into a lightly oiled 8x8 inch glass baking pan; gently pat down.
- Bake until the loaf is firm and the top is lightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Let stand in dish for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares and serve from the baking dish.