1/1 Photo of Lentil Minestrone Soup
1 hr 5 mins
This is one of Deborah Madison's(of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook fame) favorite soup recipes of all time. It's even better the second day! Add the cooked pasta and greens just before serving so the retain their color and texture. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil (plus extra oil to finish)
- 473.18 ml onions, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 59.14 ml parsley, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- freshly gorund black pepper
- 236.59 ml french green lentil, picked through, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 parsley sprigs (may use just stems)
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2129.31 ml water (or vegetable stock)
- soy sauce (mushroom soy sauce recommended)
- 1 bunch greens (mustard, chard, spinach, or brocolli rabe)
- 473.18 ml cooked small shell pasta (shells, orecchiette, or your favorite)
- parmesan cheese, thinly shaved
- 1Heat the oil in a wide soup pot with the onions. Saute over high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the tomato paste, parsley, garlic, vegetables, and 2 teaspoons salt and cook 3 minutes more.
- 3Add the lentils, bay leaves, parsley and thyme sprigs, and water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- 4Taste for salt and season with pepper to taste. If it needs more depth, add soy sauce to taste, starting with 1 tbls. The soup may seem a little bland at this point, but the flavors will come together when the soup is finished. Remove the bay leaves, parsley and thyme sprigs.
- 5Boil the greens in salted water until they are tender and bright green, then chop them coarsely.
- 6When ready to serve, add the greens and pasta to the soup and heat through.
- 7Serve with extra virgin olive oil drizzled into each bowl, a generous grind of black pepper, and the shaved Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Minestrone Soup
Serving Size: 1 (3261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.9
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 141.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs