Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A healthy satisfying vegetarian dish. Pleases even meateaters. Very pretty out of the oven with tomato slices and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- 2⁄3 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced fine (reserve 1 cup for the gravy)
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (reserve 3 T. for the gravy)
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- Lentil Loaf:
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Cook the lentils in 1 quart of simmering water until tender about 15-20 minutes. Drain.
- cook rice and reserve 1/2 cup.
- Chop the onions and carrots and mix together the cooked lentils, cooked rice, bread crumbs, oil, 3 T. tamari, sage, thyme, curry, egg whites, and ½ cup of broth.
- Oil the loaf pan and fill it with the lentil mixture, patting down well. Bake covered 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place tomato slices on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place back in the oven and bake a final 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven cool 15 minutes before slicing and topping with the musroom gravy.
- Mushroom Gravy:.
- Heat 1 T. olive oil in sauté pan. Add mushrooms and 1 cup of onions, sauté until the mushrooms are browned and the onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining broth and tamari. Bring to a simmer. Mix flour and cold water, mix until smooth and lumps are gone and add it to the pan. Cook until thick and bubbly.