Recipe by Betty Jo
This recipe is great served with mashed potatoes and gravy and the leftovers make a good sandwich.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup French style green bean
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- butter, for coating
- breadcrumbs, for coating
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a loaf pan with butter and generously coat with breadcrumbs.
- Put the lentils, water and bay leaf into a medium saucepan, cover tightly and simmer until water is absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add the cheese, onion, green beans, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and egg to the lentils; mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake, uncovered for 1-1 1/2 hours until firm and nicely browned on top.