Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 ounces red lentils, split
- 8 fluid ounces water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces cheese, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 ounces whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- to taste salt and pepper
- to taste butter (for coating tin)
- to taste dried crumbs (for coating tin)
- Put lentils, water and bay leaf into saucepan and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, all liquid absorbed - about 20 mins.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Oven to Gas Mark 5.
- Grease loaf tin with butter, sprinkle with dried crumbs.
- Add cheese, onion, mushrooms, breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon juice and egg to lentils.
- Mix well.
- Season well.
- Bake in tin, uncovered for 45-60 mins. until firm and golden brown on top.
- Hope you like it! Eve
Very tasty. I used regular lentils and I added garlic powder. It was very good! I did notice what may be a mistake, however. In step 5, it calls for mushrooms but there are no mushrooms in the ingredient list. I did not add any mushrooms. The loaf holds together when sliced and tastes really good! Thank you!
Good, held up well, but it was a bit on the bland side.
The taste of this was nice, but it was a bit dry. I used regular lentils, as my store did not have red ones. The timing was accurate to get the lentils soft, but it took twice as much water.. On the bread crumbs, 1.5 ounces equalled about 2 slices of my whole wheat bread. I also added garlic powder. The loaf probably would have held together in slices if I had not tried to turn it out of the pan as a whole loaf. Not my greatest success, but it did get eaten without complaints.