Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A low G. I soup, from "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Telles. Exchanges: 1 3/4 bread, 1/2 very lean meat, 1 3/4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegan version)
- 1 cup lentils
- 1⁄8 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 3 quart pot, bring the water and broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the lentils through the bay leaf, return to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, another 15 minutes.