Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is an easy soup and hearty when the temperatures begin to drop. Courtesy of Dell books on crockery cooking.
- 2 cups lentils, washed and drained
- 6 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 6 frankfurters, sliced
- Combine all ingredients, except frankfurters, in crock pot.
- Mix well.
- Cover pot, turn on Low and cook for 8 hours.
- Add frankfurter slices and cook an additional hour.
Super easy to make but I thought this soup needed a bit more of a kick, however it is a good soup for kids with the carrots and hot dogs.
Excellent soup and very tasty. Smelled wonderful in the crock pot. I did add just a little thyme and a bay leaf to mine for extra flavor. I topped the soup with whole dinner franks instead of slicing just for a different kind of presentation. It was very nice. Thanks for posting!