1/1 Photo of Lentil & Escarole Soup (Cook's Illustrated)
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This was yummy! I wanted to try something new and decided on this and was glad I did. Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen seldom ever lets me down. I served this over large croutons I made from stale bread I had in the freezer by cutting it into large cubes and toasting/drying it out in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 celery, finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley
- 946.36 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 709.77 ml water
- 411.06 g can small diced tomatoes
- 226.79 g brown lentils
- 1 parmesan cheese, rind (about 2 inches by 4 inches)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 head escarole, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips (about 8 ounces)
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- 1Heat the olive oil in a 6 qt heavy sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat until it starts to shimmer.
- 2Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, parsley and 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook until the vegetables are soft and reduced -- about 15 -20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Increase the heat to medium high, add the broth, water, tomatoes, lentil, Parmesan rind & bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour - 1 1/4 hours until the lentils are soft.
- 5Stir in escarole and cook for about 5 minutes until wilted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil & Escarole Soup (Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.7
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 234.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: