Recipe by Strawberry Girl
Top Review by Anu
This recipe makes the best Dal I've had at home ever... and it's so authentic! It reminds me of the Dal I used to have at my best friend's place during my school days. The only possible change I'd make is to increase the amount of red peppers for a little more 'heat'. Also, you can omit the rice, and drink this as a wonderful lentil soup. It's great for when you have a really bad cold, and need something to warm you up. Thanks for sharing this one... I'm sooo gonna make it over and over!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 4.92 ml turmeric, ground
- 2.46 ml red pepper, crushed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml cauliflower florets, chopped
- 473.18 ml tomatoes, chopped
- 591.47 ml water
- 236.59 ml dried lentils
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, minced
- 3.69 ml salt
- 1419.54 ml cooked basmati rice or 1419.54 ml long grain rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, ginger, cumin, turmeric, red peppers, and garlic.
- Saute 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and tomatoes; saute 1 minute.
- Stir in water and lentils; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt.
- Serve 1 cup lentil mixture with 1 cup rice.