Recipe by Deantini
A quick and easy vegetarian curry - from LCBO
Top Review by IngridH
This was very easy to make, and a nice part of an Indian meal. It was also my first time cooking red lentils, and I was very surprised by how fast they cook. The cumin flavor wasn't as prevalent as I had hoped, but I'll try again another time. I served this with a lamb korma and spicy cauliflower, for a great meal. Made for ZWT8
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils and place in a heavy pot; cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30 min until tender.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in cumin, chili flakes and tumeric and cook for about 1 minute or until you can smell the spices.
- Add lentils to skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 15-17 minutes or until lentils are thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro and mint.