Prep 3 mins
Cook 50 mins
A quick and easy vegetarian curry - from LCBO
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Rinse lentils and place in a heavy pot; cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30 min until tender.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in cumin, chili flakes and tumeric and cook for about 1 minute or until you can smell the spices.
- Add lentils to skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 15-17 minutes or until lentils are thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro and mint.
This was very easy to make, and a nice part of an Indian meal. It was also my first time cooking red lentils, and I was very surprised by how fast they cook. The cumin flavor wasn't as prevalent as I had hoped, but I'll try again another time. I served this with a lamb korma and spicy cauliflower, for a great meal. Made for ZWT8
I made a half recipe as DH won't touch anything that he thinks even *might* be spicy. I made it up early this morning while puttering and scoping out the morning posts here in the game room. I took part of it the work with me for lunch. It reheats well in the micro, just so you know, lol. This is flavor rich and I'm glad I just took part of it because it proved to be one of those "just one more bite" yummies that ends up with you eating the whole thing if it's there in front of you!
Easy to make but I subbed crushed red pepper flakes for the chili flakes which I don't think worked. The spice mixture in the skillet made everyone's eyes water (from fumes), even though when mixed in with red lentiles it was okay -- just probaly a lot hotter than it was supposed to be! I topped mine with some nonfat plain Greek yogurt, which made it very tasty indeed.