Recipe by Andrea-Oz
My mother passed this recipe on to me. Really healthy and very satisfying. Also freezes really well.
Top Review by Mel in Vancouver, BC
Very good recipe. I like my lentil curry with a bit more lentils, so I added two cups. Also I doubled the curry powder because I wanted it spicier. It also works well with about 4 fresh tomatoes, rather than canned tomatoes.
- 1 cup lentils (colour irrelevent, I use red)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped or minced)
- 2 medium carrots (diced 1 cm)
- 2 celery ribs (diced 1 inch)
- 2 cups cabbage (1/2 small head, finely sliced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils in strainer and sort through, removing debris.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Saute onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add garlic, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Continue to sauté for another couple of minutes.
- Add curry powder and mix to bring out its flavour.
- Add rinsed and drained lentils, broth and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice / toast / etc.
- I rarely have fresh cilantro so substitute 1-2TBS dried coriander. Usually end up forgetting it altogether though.
- I play fast and loose with the quantities - very forgiving recipe.
- Servings are a guess, I tend to make lots and use up all the vegies I can find.