1/2 Photos of Lentil Curry
My mother passed this recipe on to me. Really healthy and very satisfying. Also freezes really well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup lentils (colour irrelevent, I use red)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped or minced)
- 2 medium carrots (diced 1 cm)
- 2 celery ribs (diced 1 inch)
- 2 cups cabbage (1/2 small head, finely sliced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1Rinse lentils in strainer and sort through, removing debris.
- 2Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Saute onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent.
- 3Add garlic, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Continue to sauté for another couple of minutes.
- 4Add curry powder and mix to bring out its flavour.
- 5Add rinsed and drained lentils, broth and tomatoes.
- 6Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 7Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Serve over rice / toast / etc.
- 10I rarely have fresh cilantro so substitute 1-2TBS dried coriander. Usually end up forgetting it altogether though.
- 11I play fast and loose with the quantities - very forgiving recipe.
- 12Servings are a guess, I tend to make lots and use up all the vegies I can find.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Curry
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 52.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: