Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mother passed this recipe on to me. Really healthy and very satisfying. Also freezes really well.
- 1 cup lentils (colour irrelevent, I use red)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped or minced)
- 2 medium carrots (diced 1 cm)
- 2 celery ribs (diced 1 inch)
- 2 cups cabbage (1/2 small head, finely sliced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Rinse lentils in strainer and sort through, removing debris.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Saute onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add garlic, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Continue to sauté for another couple of minutes.
- Add curry powder and mix to bring out its flavour.
- Add rinsed and drained lentils, broth and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice / toast / etc.
- I rarely have fresh cilantro so substitute 1-2TBS dried coriander. Usually end up forgetting it altogether though.
- I play fast and loose with the quantities - very forgiving recipe.
- Servings are a guess, I tend to make lots and use up all the vegies I can find.
Very good recipe. I like my lentil curry with a bit more lentils, so I added two cups. Also I doubled the curry powder because I wanted it spicier. It also works well with about 4 fresh tomatoes, rather than canned tomatoes.
I think this is a great recipe. it will become a regular for me! Three friends want it after trying it or hearing me rave about it. Tks for posting.
This is my new favorite comfort food - and healthy, too. I used 2 cups of green lentils to make it thicker. I also added 1 teaspoon garam masala. Out of necessity, I added 4 cups water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes instead of stock. (It did not need further salt additions.) I buy the big packages (3 lbs.) of shredded cabbage/cole slaw mix at Sam's Club and try to use the whole bag within a week to eat healthier, so I used that in place of the cabbage. It was perfect. Thank you Andrea-Oz.