Recipe by Sharon123
Having appetizers or tapas on hand is a good idea for friends or unexpected company that drops in. These are very tasty and also make a nice dinner as well. Gluten free too! I don't know how many croquettes this recipe makes so guessing at the servings. Adopted from vegelicious and posted by Xiao Kang. Enjoy!
- 1 cup red lentil (or green or brown)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 bay leaves
- splash lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, plus bread crumbs for rolling
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (or flour of choice)
- 1 dash garlic powder
- oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 spring onions (or 1 small regular onion)
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (rice or apple cider)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 pinch coriander powder
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the lentil croquettes:.
- Put the lentils and 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the vegetable bouillon, lemon juice and bay leaves.
- Cook the lentils until soft(about 25 minutes-if using green or brown lentils cook about 45 minutes). You may need to add more water. Keep an eye on them so that they do not burn or scorch.
- Allow the cooked lentils to cool.
- Add the chick pea flour, garlic powder and enough bread crumbs to make the mass stick together.
- When it is cool enough to handle, roll a tablespoonful of the lentils to form a log.
- Roll the log in dried bread crumbs and set on a plate to await frying.
- Continue making all the croquettes until you have used all of the lentils.
- To make the mango chutney:.
- Slice the spring onions in small rings, and saute in a small sauce pan with the oil.
- Peel the mango and de-seed. Cut the mango in small pieces and add to the onions.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and spices.
- De-seed and chop the jalapeno in small pieces.
- Add the jalapeno pieces to the cooking mango chutney.
- Keep at a low simmer until the liquid has cooked off and it is a well blended mixture.
- Season to taste with additional seasonings or slat and pepper.
- Fry the lentil croquettes in a pan with a small amount of oil, drain on a paper towel and serve with mango chutney.