1 hr 10 mins
Having appetizers or tapas on hand is a good idea for friends or unexpected company that drops in. These are very tasty and also make a nice dinner as well. Gluten free too! I don't know how many croquettes this recipe makes so guessing at the servings. Adopted from vegelicious and posted by Xiao Kang. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red lentil (or green or brown)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 bay leaves
- splash lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, plus bread crumbs for rolling
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (or flour of choice)
- 1 dash garlic powder
- oil (for frying)
- 1To make the lentil croquettes:.
- 2Put the lentils and 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- 3Add the vegetable bouillon, lemon juice and bay leaves.
- 4Cook the lentils until soft(about 25 minutes-if using green or brown lentils cook about 45 minutes). You may need to add more water. Keep an eye on them so that they do not burn or scorch.
- 5Allow the cooked lentils to cool.
- 6Add the chick pea flour, garlic powder and enough bread crumbs to make the mass stick together.
- 7When it is cool enough to handle, roll a tablespoonful of the lentils to form a log.
- 8Roll the log in dried bread crumbs and set on a plate to await frying.
- 9Continue making all the croquettes until you have used all of the lentils.
- 10To make the mango chutney:.
- 11Slice the spring onions in small rings, and saute in a small sauce pan with the oil.
- 12Peel the mango and de-seed. Cut the mango in small pieces and add to the onions.
- 13Add the vinegar, sugar and spices.
- 14De-seed and chop the jalapeno in small pieces.
- 15Add the jalapeno pieces to the cooking mango chutney.
- 16Keep at a low simmer until the liquid has cooked off and it is a well blended mixture.
- 17Season to taste with additional seasonings or slat and pepper.
- 18Fry the lentil croquettes in a pan with a small amount of oil, drain on a paper towel and serve with mango chutney.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Croquettes With Mango Jalapeno Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.7
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 98.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes