Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This tasted just as rich and delicious as a meat shepherds pie, but it's a great deal cheaper to make with lentils. It's a fantastic budget recipe, and very popular with my children.
- 800 g medium new potatoes, quartered
- 40 g butter
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 415 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 2⁄3 cup red lentil
- 1 medium carrot, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to hot.
- Boil, steam or microwave potato until tender; drain. Mash in large bowl with half of the butter.
- Melt remaining butter in medium-deep frying pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add undrained tomatoes, stock, the water, paste, wine, lentils and carrot; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add peas and parsley; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spoon lentil mixture into shallow 1 litre ovenproof dish.
- Spread potato mash on top. Bake, uncovered, in hot oven 20 minutes. Stand pie 10 minutes before serving.