A really simple and very tasty dish,that is made better by the fact that it contains absolutely no saturated fat and no cholesterol. Great on it's own,but we equally love it made into chimichangas (using low fat flour tortillas and low fat cheese of course!!). A great vegetarian dish!!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped coriander
- Heat non stick dutch oven.Add the oil and onion,saute until golden (about 7 mins).Add the tomatoes,stock and the lentils,and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer,and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the corn,pepper,chillies,cumin and ground coriander and salt.
- Bring to the boil again,then reduce to a simmer,cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are soft (about 15 mins).
- Stir in the chopped coriander and serve.