Recipe by ellie3763
Top Review by danlynclark
Yum!! I love these! The ingredients don't list the oats or dried fruit. I added 1 cup of raisins and 1 cup of rolled oats. I also added a handful of flaxseed. And because I knew it would get my husband to eat them, I added 1 cup chocolate chips.
- 9 1⁄2 ounces whole wheat pastry flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 ounces sugar (about 1 cup)
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces lentils, sorted and rinsed (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried fruit
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine the lentils and the water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and puree. If using immediately, let cool. The puree may be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer with a whisk attachment, cream together the sugar and butter on medium speed.
- Add the egg and mix until just incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and lentil puree and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and blend on low speed until just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the oats, dried fruit and coconut.
- Form the dough into balls about 2 teaspoons in size and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving about 1-inch of room in between.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 195 degrees F is reached on an instant-read thermometer.