Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a recipe I got out of a magazine (around 20 years ago) that really fills you up on a cold day. The main ingredients (lentils, ham, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions) can cook all day in either a crockpot, or a stove-top pot - although I have always made it in a crock pot. The addition of mushroom soup, beef boullion granules and parsley help with the overall taste and seasoning. This recipe is easily adjusted for personal taste (can omit one of the vegetables, or add more/less of one) and takes very little preparation time. The soup tastes great as a leftover, too!
- 1 lb cooked ham, chunks (97% fat free is best and comes packaged)
- 1⁄2 lb dry lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces (whole from can or chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, snipped (fresh or dried)
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 6 cups water
- In a crockpot combine all ingredients.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low setting of 8 to 10 hours (or on high setting for 4 to 5 hours).
- Refrigerate unused portions (tastes great reheated).
- Note: If you like a "chunkier" soup, add less water.