Prep 45 mins
Cook 48 mins
Cuisine at Home
- 2 slice bacon, diced
- 473.18 ml diced onions
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes with juice
- 709.77 ml v- 8 juice or 709.77 ml tomato juice
- 709.77 ml hot water
- 473.18 ml dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 14.79 ml chopped semisweet chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 1 lime, juice of
- black pepper
- sour cream
- Cook bacon in a large pot over med-high heat until crisp, 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate; set aside.
- Sweat onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic in bacon drippings until onion begins to soften, 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and coriander; cook until paste begins to darken, about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, V-8, water, and lentils.
- Bring mixture to a boil, decrease heat to med-low, and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate until it melts, 2-3 minutes.
- Add lime juice and bacon.
- Season chili with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each serving with sour cream and diced avocado.