1 hr 33 mins
Cuisine at Home
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups v- 8 juice or 3 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped semisweet chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 1 lime, juice of
- black pepper
- sour cream
- 1Cook bacon in a large pot over med-high heat until crisp, 8 minutes.
- 2Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate; set aside.
- 3Sweat onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic in bacon drippings until onion begins to soften, 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and coriander; cook until paste begins to darken, about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 5Add the tomatoes, V-8, water, and lentils.
- 6Bring mixture to a boil, decrease heat to med-low, and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- 7Stir in chocolate until it melts, 2-3 minutes.
- 8Add lime juice and bacon.
- 9Season chili with salt and pepper.
- 10Garnish each serving with sour cream and diced avocado.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Chili II
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.6
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 199.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: