Recipe by Carianne
A great throw-together lowfat meal. (2 WW points). Freezes well for make-ahead lunches. Sometimes I add garbanzo beans. This is from the Secrets of Lowfat Cooking cookbook, a great resource.
Top Review by Meowmix318
This was a great lentil chili! I added in carrots and a little green onion. I also used cayenne pepper instead of the chili powder. And I also added in some cooked chicken because my boyfriend said he needed to have some kind of meat with his meal. Loved the recipe and will make this again!
- 3⁄4 cup dry lentils, cleaned
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything (except tomato sauce and corn) in 2 1/2 quart pot and boil over high heat.
- Reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 25- 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and corn.
- Simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!
- Great garnished with lowfat sour cream.
- For Vegetarian use only the vegetable broth. Do not use the low fat sour cream garnish for Vegans.