Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great throw-together lowfat meal. (2 WW points). Freezes well for make-ahead lunches. Sometimes I add garbanzo beans. This is from the Secrets of Lowfat Cooking cookbook, a great resource.
- 3⁄4 cup dry lentils, cleaned
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- Combine everything (except tomato sauce and corn) in 2 1/2 quart pot and boil over high heat.
- Reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 25- 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and corn.
- Simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!
- Great garnished with lowfat sour cream.
- For Vegetarian use only the vegetable broth. Do not use the low fat sour cream garnish for Vegans.
This was a great lentil chili! I added in carrots and a little green onion. I also used cayenne pepper instead of the chili powder. And I also added in some cooked chicken because my boyfriend said he needed to have some kind of meat with his meal. Loved the recipe and will make this again!
this really is great. i used black beans in place of corn (because that's what i had on hand, but i am sure corn would be good in there, too) and garam masala instead of allspice. plus, i added some cayenne pepper and picante sauce in order to liven it up. taste explosion.
Wonderful recipe. My husband LOVED it. Its very hearty... and it makes a lot!!! I added some other beans to it. It was delicious. We will make it again and again. Thanks. :)