Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
I came up with this recipe when I was trying to decide what kind of soup I wanted to take to my mom for dinner after she had some medical tests done. I had made a lentil soup for us out of a mix and was trying to make a similar soup for mom and her husband. What I got was great and much better than the mix. Go figure!!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) can lentil soup (Progresso)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (11 ounce) cans V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Brown ground beef in a large dutch oven with garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
This was fabulous and so easy to do and soooo tasty even teenagers ate it with gusto - they didn't know they were eating healthy lentils !! I dropped a punnet of cherry tomatoes in as I only had one can of diced tomatoes and also I love them In everything. I simmered mine for an hour or so and got a perfect chilli consistency.Thanks to LARavenscroft.