Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
When I feel virtuous I make these veggie patties to put in pita bread or burger buns. I have also posted vegan substitutes below. You can also use gluten free breadcrumbs if you wish. Finally, you can make this a up to a two days ahead, the cream will keep for about 2 days, and you could also make these as little patties to serve as finger food at parties.
- 1 cup red lentil (or any lentils)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 14 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 1 egg (or Ener-G Egg Substitute)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups breadcrumbs, stale
- 1⁄4 cup flour or 1⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup tofu sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup soya cream
- 1 garlic clove, well crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Put the lentils in a pan of boiling water and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in pan and sauté the onion until soft & translucent (don't let it burn). Add the ground spices and stir until fragrant. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Put the chickpeas, egg (or substitute), onion mixture and half the lentils in a food processor. Process until smooth & transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in the remaining lentils, parsley, first lot of fresh coriander & breadcrumbs & mix well. Divide into 10 portions.
- Shape portions into round patties (if the mixture feels soft, chill for 15-20 minutes or until firm).
- Toss the patties int he flour, shaking off the excess.
- Place in a hot frying pan/bbq plate/gril and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, or until browned.
- Coriander Garlic Cream - mix together all ingredients and chill.
- For vegan use the Ener-G, the tofu sour cream and the soy cream.
Excellent! I made this for my 1 yr old daughter and she ate about 3 patties one after another. My husband loved the taste too! It absolutely needs the sour cream and I didn't use the ground coriander. I will be making a double batch next time.
These burgers were a very tasty alternative to some of the veggie burgers I have tried. Next time I might spice up the sauce by adding some canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce or ancho chili powder. I think some lemon juice would add additional flavor as well. Overall, we liked this recipe. Thanks for the post!