Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From fatfree.com, posted by Leanne M. Reidy. I love baked lentil and rice dishes as they are so easy to make and taste great. The wine in this dish gives it a very nice flavor, and I think that a white cheese that goes well with white wine tastes great with it (I used Monterey jack but want to experiment with other more gourmet cheeses). And of course, this recipe is no longer fat free when you cover it with cheese! This was fully cooked at 1 and 1/2 hours in my oven.
Top Review by skyhihorses
Really tasty recipe! I've just made it or the 2nd time but in an effort to up the health kicks I added raw linseed and chia and just increased the water. Jut before removing from the oven I added finely chopped Swiss chard along with the cheese. Even the meat eating hubbie gave it the thumbs up
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, well chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 ounce grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the cheese) in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a 1-1/2 quart casserole. Place the casserole (uncovered) into the oven (350°F) and bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove when the casserole is moist but not runny.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for another five minutes.