Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A lentil burrito that can be eaten hot or cold. From the Chicago Tribune: 11/13/90. (I'm guessing on the prep time but it should'nt take much more than 15 - 20 minutes). It can be made with vegetable stock for vegetarians.
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers or 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 cup mild taco sauce
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 flour tortillas
- diced avocado
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- Wash& drain lentils.
- Bring to a boil with stock; cover, simmer until just tender, about 20 min.
- Drain if necessary.
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic, zucchini, pepper to tender crisp.
- Stir in lentils, hot sauce,& taco sauce.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Stir in cheese.
- Spoon 1/2 C of mixture down center of each tortilla.
- Roll up (Can assemble ahead& reheat rolled in dampened paper towels in microwave).
- Can be eaten hot or cold.
Made it, delicious!
We love these and make exactly as written but without hot sauce so it's a kid friendly meal. We think best combo is equal mixture of red and green lentils (half and half). Easy to make ahead and then reheat when ready to melt cheese.
I just made this recipe for the 2nd time and I LOVE it! So much flavor, easy to make and freezes really well. Super healthy too! Thank you! I used whole wheat tortillas but the rest was the same.