Recipe by Steph S
These burgers are delicious served open-faced on a slice of good toasted bread topped with sliced tomatoes and your favorite salad dressing or salsa.
- 236.59 ml dried brown lentils
- 473.18 ml water
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- salt or pepper
- 7.39 ml chili powder (optional)
- 14.79 ml ketchup
- 7.39 ml Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 scallions, green and white parts
- 1 celery rib
- 118.29 ml pistachios or 118.29 ml walnuts
- 1 carrot, shredded
- cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put lentils and water in a pot, bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer lentils until soft and water has been absorbed, adding a little more water if necessary. Stir occasionally.(about 30 min).
- While lentils are cooking, finely chop the garlic, bell pepper, scallions, celery, and nuts.
- In a frying pan large enough to hold the veggies, heat the oil over medium heat and saute the nuts and veggies until tender, about 10-15 minute Stir in the salt, pepper and chili powder, if using.
- Transfer vegetable mixture and cooked lentils to a large bowl. Add the ketchup and mustard.
- Mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a baking pan.
- Form burger mixture into 4 large or 6-8 small patties. Bake them for 30 minutes. If topping with sliced cheese, put it on during the last 2 minutes.