Recipe by Norahs Girl
A versatile Sauce,can be used as the basis of a Vegetarian pie, Moussaka or for Pasta.Its also Delicious cold served with Pita Breads and Salad.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, washed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, washed and finely chopped (with leaves)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups brown lentils, rinsed to remove any grit and drained
- 200 ml white wine
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 (70 g) can tomato paste
- freshly grated nutmeg, , fresh oregano,salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the chopped vegetables until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and stir for a few minutes until they have absorbed the flavours of the vegetables and oil.
- Add the wine and allow to boil for a few seconds until the wine has slightly reduced.
- Then add the stock, the tomato paste and the seasonings.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are soft but not mushy.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve with spaghetti or tagliatelle.