Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A really useful sauce to serve with pasta, such as lasagne or spaghetti. Can also be served as a sauce with vegetables. Cooking time varies depending on how it is served.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 45 ml olive oil
- 115 g red lentils
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml tomato puree
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 15 ml fresh marjoram, chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- In a large saucepan gently fry the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the olive oil until they are soft.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, marjoram and seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to the boil then partly cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until thick and soft.
- Use the Bolognese as required.