Recipe by Sharon123
It's all about the flavor. This is yummy! From The Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick Goudreau. Contributed by Barbara Lyons. Wheat and soy free. :)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or minced)
- 2 carrots, grated (or finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (or 1 can-15 oz. diced tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I sometimes sub ketchup)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3 tablespoons finely diced black olives
- fresh parsley, finely minced (or use basil!)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the oil for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock, oregano and olives. Bring mixture to a boil over medium low heat, partially cover with the lid and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until soft and thick(Check halfway through cooking time to make sure water hasn't evaporated, add a little more water if necessary).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley or basil(or both!).
- Serve over pasta if desired. Enjoy!