1 hr 15 mins
I finally posted the concoction! :D And it came out pretty awesome. Better yet, I did this without a food processor. You need 1 cup of veggies, your choice, I did it with the traditional veggie burger fare and they're also what I had on hand that I like. Either way, the veggies must be very, very finely diced/shredded unless you use something naturally small like peas and corn. I used regular brown lentils, but red lentils, Indian lentils, or a varietal mix would probably be great. Black rice is found in most Asian grocery stores. These veggie burgers are time-consuming to make, but well worth it for the rich and nutty taste, creamy gooey texture, and the spicy kick that sneaks up on you. You can probably use a food processor too, but I didn't feel like cleaning it-- so I guess just pulse a few minutes until just about completely pureed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water (divided into 2 cups each)
- 1 cup lentils (DO NOT SOAK AHEAD OF TIME!)
- 1 cup black rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves, mashed and minced but I use the liquidy stuff)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard (dry powdered mustard, not wet)
- 1 dash oregano
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 1/4 cup broccoli (I used the very fine chopped broccoli from the freezer section, florets are too big)
- 1/4 cup corn
THROW IN AT THE END
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1Be ready for some simultaneous burner action! Get two saucepans ready with the 4 cups of water, 2 cups in each.
- 2Put the 1/4 tsp table salt in the one that you're going to cook the rice inches.
- 3Put the rice in the boiling salted water, and stir in 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix it up perfectly then cover.
- 4In the other pot, put the lentils inches.
- 5Cover both pots, and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- 6You're going to leave the rice alone until the time's up-- but check on the lentils and stir them every 5 minutes, covering when done.
- 7When the time's up, drain the lentils about halfway. Put them in a large mixing bowl.
- 8For the rice, turn the burner off and let it sit there for a few minutes.
- 9Drain and rinse the rice-- now, you're going to see a lot of purple/black liquid come out. Don't be alarmed, this is natural from black rice, not a manufactured dye or anything.
- 10Put the rice in with the lentils, and mix the bowl up.
- 11With a potato masher, mash up the contents as best as you can- mash and stir constantly, and get most of it mashed up really well but leave a lot of whole pieces of rice and lentil in there for texture.
- 12Stir in the minced garlic, kosher salt, and tahini until perfectly melded.
- 13Add the 3/4 cup flour and stir together, the mixture should be stickier now.
- 14Add the dry seasoning ingredients to the mixture and blend together.
- 15Put the veggies into the mixture and mix up.
- 16Put the remaining 1/2 cup flour into the bowl and mix it up, so it's thick and pasty now.
- 17Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes, and while it's doing that preheat the oven to 350 and make sure the rack is in the center.
- 18With your hands, form patties about 4-5" and put directly onto a cookie/baking sheet greased with cooking spray.
- 19Bake for 15 minutes. (This part took me twice as long because I only had room for 6 patties with my convection oven.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Black Rice Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.8
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 250.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g