Prep 35 mins
Cook 18 mins
A good, healthy, easy, quick week-night meal. Came out of a Pillsbury cookbook-slightly adapted for family's taste.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin bite-sized strips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the lentils, carrots and onion; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the barley, basil, Italian seasoning, pepper, and broth; bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low; cover and let simmer 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender but still firm.
- Add the remaining ingredients; stir to mix up; increase to medium heat, cover and let simmer 10-15 more minutes or until lentils and veggies are tender and liquid is almost absorbed (stir as needed).
- Season to taste with salt/pepper, etc-- Sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan cheese if desired.