1/2 Photos of Lentil Barley Stew
1 hr 15 mins
My husband's favorite. The cinnamon gives this stew a different twist. It will thicken as it sits, so I make it a little soupy to begin with and serve with some crusty bread to soak up the juices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced or sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, chopped with their juices
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches long)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat.
- 2Add the onions and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 4Add the cumin and cook for 1 more minute.
- 5Add the lentils, broth, tomatoes with juices, brown sugar and cinnamon stick.
- 6Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes, partially covered.
- 7Add the barley, cover partially, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Barley Stew
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.8
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 41.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 12.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: