1/1 Photo of Lentil Barley Soup
Deb in Seattle's Note:
This recipe was given to me by my cousin as part of a bridal shower gift. You can easily choose to make this vegetarian or vegan by your choice of stock, using a butter substitute, and not adding the cheese at serving time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 6 cups beef broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1In a large (4 quart) pan or dutch oven melt butter (or margarine).
- 2add onion, celery, and garlic.
- 3cook until tender.
- 4add all remaining ingredients except cheese.
- 5bring to a boil.
- 6reduce to simmer for 45 minutes.
- 7serve and top with cheese.
- 8For Vegetarian/Vegan use the Vegetable stock as your choice not the beef, and for Vegan also omit the cheese and use a non dairy Margarine. For Lacto Vegetarians you don't need to change the dairy or cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.7
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.9 mg
- Sodium 633.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 12.3 g