This recipe was given to me by my cousin as part of a bridal shower gift. You can easily choose to make this vegetarian or vegan by your choice of stock, using a butter substitute, and not adding the cheese at serving time.
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 6 cups beef broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup dry lentils
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a large (4 quart) pan or dutch oven melt butter (or margarine).
- add onion, celery, and garlic.
- cook until tender.
- add all remaining ingredients except cheese.
- bring to a boil.
- reduce to simmer for 45 minutes.
- serve and top with cheese.
- For Vegetarian/Vegan use the Vegetable stock as your choice not the beef, and for Vegan also omit the cheese and use a non dairy Margarine. For Lacto Vegetarians you don't need to change the dairy or cheese.