Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This I serve with chicken, grilled-grilled salmon or trout for the rest of the fam.
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups boiling chicken or 3 cups boiling vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon whipping cream or 1 teaspoon half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon snipped chives
- In a large frying pan melt 2 T.
- of butter over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook until transparent.
- Add rice and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add barley and lentils and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and, stirring constantly-for the rest of the cooking time-cook until the liquid is almost gone.
- Ladle in some stock, (1 ladle's worth) cook down.
- Repeat until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, fold in cream, cheese, butter and chives.
- Taste and add salt and peppr as needed.