Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great filling soup nice for the cooler days of Autumn.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and light green parts only; about 2 medium, sliced and thoroughly rinsed)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 3 large celery ribs, with leaves
- 1 onion, studded with
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled and chopped apples (cooking apples preferred)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- In a large pot, heat oil; saute lleks until tender; add water and apple juice; bring to a boil.
- Stir in lentils, celery, onion, and bay leaf; return to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Stir in apple, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes more; season to taste with salt.
- Discard celery, onion, and bay leaf before serving.
Very nice! A tasty combination of sweet and savoury. I'll definitely be making this one again. Yum!
Honestly, I wasn't prepared for it to be as sweet as it was. Ended up adding salsa
i omitted the 2 cups of apple juice, and it came out thick, but perfect.