Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A smokey lightly spicy hearty soup made easily in the crock pot. Having chorizos and chipoltes for heat. Saving the spinach till the end for brightness and freshness. Have your freezer bags ready to save the leftovers. Leftovers are great for last minute meal. Defrost in microwave oven and ready to go.
- 1 ham bone
- 1 large sweet onion, 2 cups diced
- 2 stalks celery, 1/2 cup diced
- 2 carrots, 1 cup diced
- 2 -4 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 3⁄4 cup long grain and wild rice blend, uncooked
- 1 -3 chipotle chile in adobo, seeds removed and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups water
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, washed and chopped
- sherry wine (optional)
- Place all ingredients except spinach in slow cooker, pour water over all just to cover,.
- cook on low for 6 hours or until wild rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove ham bone and take any meat left on it and place back in soup.
- Stir in spinach and drizzle sherry during last 15 minutes of cooking.
This sounds so good! I love hearty soups like this one. I don't love chipotles though, wonder if I could substitute something else or just leave them out altogether...
Great soup on a busy day! I only used two chorizo sausages and 1 chipotle -- next time I think I'll use more sausages though but very good and hearty soup! Thanks for sharing!