Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
This recipe is vegan and gluten free. I wrote this recipe with exactly what I used - but you can use any old veggies you have in the fridge. You can also use any type of lentils - the cook time may differ however.
- 14.79 ml oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch gingerroot, minced
- 1 acorn squash, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 236.59 ml brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 4.92 ml coriander powder
- 4.92 ml cumin powder
- 2.46 ml turmeric powder
- 2.46 ml dried chili (or to taste)
- 709.77 ml vegetable broth or 709.77 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot cook the onion in the oil over medium high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender and translucent. Add the garlic and ginger, cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add in all the remaining vegetables, the lentils and all of the seasoning EXCEPT the salt.
- Stir until all of the veggies are coated with the spices. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- I cook mine in a pressure cooker - so I bring it to a boil and allow to cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Then I let the pressure reduce naturally which takes an additional 20 minutes or so.
- If you don't plan to use a pressure cooker, just bring the mixture to a boil and allow to simmer for 40 minutes or so until the lentils are tender.
- Add the salt just before serving.
- Serve over brown rice.
- Delicious the next day as leftovers!