Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great recipe for toddlers, especially if you are vegetarian or have a baby who is not fussed on eating meat. My grandson refuses to chew meat (now aged 19 mths) so we are always looking for ways to make sure he gets an adequate diet. These simple ingredients cook up easily and the recipe makes at least 10 servings and is good to freeze.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 potato, large peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, scaped and diced
- 2 celery ribs, washed and diced. I peeled the outside strings off
- 225 g red lentils, washed
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 10 ml tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- Heat oil and fry onions and garlic until softened but not browned.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and lentils. Stir to coat the vegetables with oil.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 40 - 45 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are very tender. You might need to add some water at this stage if the stew seems to be too thick.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Mash the lentils and vegetables.
- Ready to serve.
- Freeze in portions what is not going to be used within 2 -3 days.
Delicious! I enjoyed this for lunch with my 2.5 year old who ate two bowls. I made it using canned lentils and chicken broth, added a diced zucchini and simmered all until the veggies were tender. I did not mash it. Next time I may try it with sweet potatoes instead of white ones. Can't wait for lunch again tomorrow!
This was right on the money! So easy and tasty, I added extra stock as we felt like more of a soup. Served with a spoonful of pesto and a little sour cream, you could add whatever you like to this- zucchini, capsicum, corn, parsley whatever. A good "emergency" meal. Thanks!
Delicious 4 1/2 stars. I made this with a version of Recipe #252403 that had a little chicken stock in it too. Also did not mash it. Made for RECIPE SWAP #39 - April 2010 - For the group Coconut Ice.