Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an adaptation of 2 or 3 other similar soups but is my favorite obviously. Not at all difficult to make and goes very well with low fat cornbread.
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage (You can also use pork Italian sausage)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- Brown sausage; drain off fat.
- In a large pot combine all ingredients bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Add water if necessary, for desired consistency. I like to puree about 1 cup of the soup and add back to pot to give it a thicker consistency.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.