Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an unusual salad which contains green or brown lentils. For best results lentils should be soaked overnight if possible. It is a great source of protein, and can be served along with other vegetable dishes. I remember reading that the protein intake from pulses is doubled if served at the same time as a yoghurt-based dish, and so I tend to serve a yoghurt salad as a further accompaniment
- 500 g green lentils
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 large italian-style peeled tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until it is transparent. Chop the tomatoes, removing seeds if you like.
- Add tomatoes to the onions in the pan.
- Drain the lentils and add to the pan.
- Cover the lentil mixture with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- In a bowl mix the parsley and vinegar.
- Stir in the lentil mixture slowly.
- When cool, adjust the seasoning.
- Chill well.
- Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the salad before serving.