1 hr 30 mins
Scots Lass/Cairo's Note:
This is an unusual salad which contains green or brown lentils. For best results lentils should be soaked overnight if possible. It is a great source of protein, and can be served along with other vegetable dishes. I remember reading that the protein intake from pulses is doubled if served at the same time as a yoghurt-based dish, and so I tend to serve a yoghurt salad as a further accompaniment
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry the onion in the olive oil until it is transparent. Chop the tomatoes, removing seeds if you like.
- 2Add tomatoes to the onions in the pan.
- 3Drain the lentils and add to the pan.
- 4Cover the lentil mixture with cold water and bring to the boil.
- 5Reduce the heat, and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Season to taste with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- 8In a bowl mix the parsley and vinegar.
- 9Stir in the lentil mixture slowly.
- 10When cool, adjust the seasoning.
- 11Chill well.
- 12Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the salad before serving.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Tomato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.5
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 38.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 32.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
italian-style peeled tomatoes