Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
Time does not include a few hours refrigeration time. This was one of the best vegetarian burgers I have made. The entire family loved it even the meat-eaters! I used oats for the breadcrumbs as well for the gluten intolerant amongst us. Served on wholegrain rolls with spinach, tomatoes, pickled cucumbers and bbq sauce...very very good. From Low-GI Vegetarian Cooking.
- 400 g brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lentils in food processor and pulse until they resemble bread crumbs.
- Heat 1/2 tsb oil and saute onions until soft. Add garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add carrot and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Place lentils and onion mixture in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Mix with hands to combine and shape into patties.
- Refrigerate for a few hours to firm.
- Heat remaining oil in pan and brown on both sides.