Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve with crusty hot bread. A quick, hearty meal.
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 cup split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Add the first 11 ingredients to a large soup pot; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat to med-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in sausage; cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes longer or until peas and lentils are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in vinegar.
- Discard bay leaf.
- For a thicker soup, whisk soup with a large whisk to mash some of the peas and lentils.