Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking Light 2003 Haven't tried these but had to put it here... "The lentil puffs, studded with spinach and cilantro, are a specialty in the northern and western parts of India, where they are enjoyed with various sauces. Make these up to 1 hour ahead. To reheat, lightly cover and place in a 250 degree oven for 12 minutes or until warmed.
- 3⁄4 dried small red lentil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded serrano chili
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- Sort and wash lentils, place in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Drain well.
- Place lentils and 3 tablespoons water in food processor, process until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Combine the pureed lentils, spinach and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) stirring well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drop lentil mixture by heaping spoonfuls in the pan.
- Cook 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Cover and keep warm.