Recipe by Catfuzz
Inspired by a lentil sausage soup enjoyed in Northern Arizona at a restaurant named "The Red Raven". It isn't quite there. Will need to sample again. They giggled when I asked for the recipe. A yummy meal in itself. Serve with warm bread.
Top Review by cookandcookagain
I have made this twice since I found this recipe. I had been trying to find something to make with some dry lentils in my cabinet, and this fit the bill. Each time that I have made this, I have enjoyed it! This is a very comforting and hearty soup. I especially love the addition of the sprouts. It is a very easy way to sneak in vegetables for my son. :-) I have used mixed sprouts and radish sprouts, both tasted great! Instead of the stock paste, which I cannot locate, I have used canned stock or broth and a mix of water. This is an excellent recipe.
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup celery rib
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 16 ounces dried organic green lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock paste
- 1⁄3 lb spicy Italian pork sausage
- 1 cup mixed sprouts (or greens)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the Spicy Italian sausage completely through and drain and rinse under hot water in a metal colander. Set aside.
- Finely chop carrots, celery and onion in a food processor all at once.
- Transfer to a sauce pan with oil and sauté, still crisp.
- Add chicken stock paste to sauce pan and 1 cup of water. Stir until the paste is completely dissolved.
- Add the rest of the water, the lentils and the sausage to the vegetables. Add the Italian seasoning, nutmeg and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Spoon a third of the soup and the mixed sprouts into a food processor and blend just to a consistent texture. Add back to the sauce pan and simmer another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!