Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my kind of recipe. I found it on the allrecipes.com website. It was submitted by Cheryl Irwin who states: "A hearty soup, packed with lentils, smoked vegetarian sausage, onion, cabbage, and tomatoes."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ounces dry lentils
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 smoked vegetarian sausages
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in lentils, onion, cabbage, and garlic.
- Cook until tender.
- Stir in sausage and tomatoes.
- Crumble vegetable cubes over mixture and pour in water.
- Stir in bay leaf, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is quick and simple but comes out great! The whole family enjoys it.